I used to hate the Brother comb, but now that I've gotten used to it I wish they made one for the mid-gauge machines. Since they don't -- and probably never will -- I decided to buy a new one for my Brother SK860 standard and hack the old one to fit my Silver Reed SK860 mid-gauge.
The gate pegs on the Silver Reed are stronger than the hooks on the comb, so it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Here's how:
- Knit an inch or so of waste yarn across the entire needle bed.
- Mark the two center hooks on the comb with a bit of yarn.
- Position the comb with the two center hooks on either size of 0.
- Working from the center of the comb toward the ends, gently -- but firmly press the wires of the comb between the gate pegs until the comb is hanging on the scrap knitting.
- Use needle nose pliers to bend any stubborn hooks out of the way of the gate pegs. Most of them should bend to one side or the other without any help.
Once the comb has been secured all the way across, use the needle nose pliers to bend all of the hooks that are pressing against a gate peg. In this photo, you'll see 5 hooks bent back out of the way. All of the others are hanging between the 6.5mm gate pegs pretty as you please.
Grab the bent hooks with your needle nose pliers and bend the wire back and forth until they snap. Most of them will snap off inside the case. If you have a few that don't, you might have to use a Dremel to grind them down so you don't have any sharp edges.
It's important to note that this method won't get you a comb that hangs on every stitch, but if you like using the 9mm triangle weights on your standard gauge machine, that shouldn't be a problem.
Also, the comb is 4-5 needles shy of covering the whole bed... so if you're using the entire width, you might still have to use edge weights.